The Experience Day 0: Hachinohe

So I'm starting to type this on Wednesday. My legs still hurt like hell from the trip I took Saturday to Monday. Is it worth it? Yes! Here's part 1 of the saga of my three-day trek.

The Day Before
I did my final packing in a hurried couple of hours, popping by the local 7-11 to make the stupidest decision I made the whole trip: print out the Shiokaze trail map PDFs using the copy machine onto A3 size paper, thinking that those counted as full size maps. Do not do this!! Later I discovered that the only thing they counted as was maybe kindling. Into the trash they went as soon as I got real maps.

I put on the pack for the first time and took the local train to Morioka. Actual backpacks were much heavier than theoretical backpacks, and turned me into a train jerk. I couldn't turn around without almost smacking some girl in the head.

Next came the bullet train from Morioka to Hachinohe. Fun fact: the bullet train from Morioka is faster, more comfortable, and costs about the same as the local train. I recommend taking a D seat, also known as the aisle seat on the two-seater side of the train, because leaning over two dudes to violently shove your pack into the luggage shelf is not ideal.

At Hachinohe, I checked into Toyoko Inn and went in search of a bite to eat and an evening tipple. The places in front of the station looked crowded (it was Friday night) so I walked a little farther down and found "Fukufuku." It had owl decorations, and I'm a sucker for owls, so I walked right in (impeccable logic). The place was just what I'd hoped for: small, quiet, with a TV and a plastic cover on the counter. Reminiscent of your grandma's place. The hostess was nice too. She says she doesn't speak much English, but the place gets its share of foreign tourists, so she can work with you.

Halfway through my meal a regular came in for the first time in a while, and all three of us chatted about traveling in foreign countries, the trail I was taking, and relationships. The regular declared he was in a "cold war" with his wife. (Dear his wife: please do not read this English blog.) I was extra tickled at this.

I ordered meat and noodles (niku udon), rice balls (onigiri), shiokara, and a couple glasses of local sake (jizake), and it cost about 3000 yen in total.

The local recommended staying at Hachinohe Onsen if you like hot springs. The Toyoko Inn was convenient, but it's a waste to stay at a chain hotel.
We were having fun
Food was great too

2 件のコメント:

  1. You are my hero. Now I am itching for a long walk...

    返信削除
  2. I thought you ate so much better than we do on trips, but then I read day 1. I still am guessing on the average you eat better.

    返信削除